California Marijuana Laws 2018
California marijuana laws have changed drastically over the past few years. In 2016, voters approved Proposition 64. This legalized marijuana for everyone 21 and older. This includes allowing marijuana to be possessed, cultivated and also purchased. The passage of this law came 20 years after California became the first state to legalize medical marijuana in 1996.
Here is an overview of California marijuana laws:
- It’s legal for those 21 and older to possess up to an ounce of marijuana, as well as up to eight grams of marijuana concentrates.
- It’s legal for those 21 and older to grow up to six marijuana plants.
- Possessing as well as growing marijuana for those under 21 is an infraction.
- Possessing up to eight ounces of marijuana, as well as up to eight grams of marijuana concentrates, is legal for patients.
- Growing up to six mature, as well as 12 immature marijuana plants, is legal for patients.
- When purchasing marijuana patients are exempt from the state sales tax.
- Distributing marijuana is legal for businesses with a license from the state as well as their locality.
- Marijuana retail outlets can sell up to an ounce of marijuana and up to eight grams of marijuana concentrates such as oils.
- Selling marijuana without a license is illegal.
- Business & Professions Code Sections 26000, et seq, as well as;
- Health & Safety Code Sections 11000, et seq.; 11357, et seq.; 11362.7, et seq.
Proposition 64 legalized marijuana. Its approval took place in November, 2016. Fifty seven percent voted in favor of the initiative. Parts of the law took effect immediately, with other parts taking effect over the following several months.
The full text of Proposition 64 can be found by clicking here.
In 1996 Proposition 215 passed in California with roughly 56% support. The initiative made California the first state in the nation to legalize medical marijuana. Because of this, 30 additional states have followed.
More information on Proposition 215 can be found by clicking here.
Read this full story…..: California Marijuana Laws 2018